1. Gently wash tattoo 3 times per day with antibacterial soap and water, then pat dry with paper towel.
2. After each wash, spray with Bactine spray, and while still wet with Bactine, gently apply a thin film of triple antibiotic cream (i.e. A&D Ointment, Neosporin, Bacitracin) or Vitalitree Salve, then pat dry.
3. If there is any swelling, ice and elevate.
4. After 3 days, use an unscented hand lotion or Vitalitree Lotion until skin returns to its pre-Tattoo condition.
5. Do not rub or pick the treated area while it is healing. Loss of color and/or infection could occur.
6. Do not soak in a tub, sauna, Jacuzzi or go swimming while your new Tattoo is healing. Showers are fine.
7. Stay out of sunlight and tanning booth until Tattoo is healed, at least 14 days.
8. Once healed, extreme sun exposure over the years can and will fade your Tattoo. This can be minimized by using a strong sunscreen, at least SPF25.
9. We strongly recommend the use of Vitalitree products during and after your healing process. Please visit vitalitree.com/vitalitree-products/ for more information.
10. We strongly recommend avoiding petroleum-based products (i.e. Vaseline) as these products clog pores and prevent proper oxygenation of the healing skin.
11. Consult a health care practitioner at the first sign of infection or an allergic reaction, and report any diagnosed infection, allergic reaction, or adverse reaction resulting from the tattoo to the artist, and to the Texas Department of State Health Services, Drugs and Medical Devices Group, at 1-888-839-6676.
If your artist used Recovery Derm Shield:
Recovery Derm Shield is a transparent matte film adhesive bandage. Derm Shield offers maximum breathability and flexibility, providing optimal conditions for gentle healing and skin renewal. It eliminates scabbing and reduces the risk of scarring, while preventing exposure to bacteria, dirt, and abrasion. Derm Shield is waterproof, but permeable to allow skin perspiration, and it is durable enough to keep up with your everyday activities. It works by locking in your body’s natural healing fluids, so your tattoo stays hydrated and heals quickly and efficiently with no scabbing and reduced scarring. Another perk—because it is breathable, you can wear it for several days at a time while your tattoo heals. This allows you to skip out on the frequent washing and ointment applying involved with traditional tattoo aftercare.
a. Leave the Recovery Derm Shield on for 4-7 days as recommended by your artist. It will protect your tattoo during its healing process.
b. You will notice that fluid will gather underneath your bandage during the first 24 hours; this is a mix of plasma, ink, and a minimal amount of blood, and is completely normal.
c. After the 4-7 days, slowly and gently peel away the Derm Shield. This will work best while under warm, running water.
d. Once it has all been removed, wash your tattoo with unscented soap and warm water. Use unscented lotion for the remainder of the healing process.
e. Please notify your artist if you have an allergy to adhesives - if so, Derm Shield is NOT recommended for you. If you notice any redness or irritation around the edge of the Derm Shield, remove immediately and resume traditional aftercare procedure as listed above.